Let’s be honest with each other, we all have crazy, chaotic lives and the last thing we need is more stuff to do. Right?
So here’s what I’ve done to keep myself sane. At any given time, I only allow 5 true Sanity Savers, in my life. You might be asking, “What’s a Sanity Saver?” I define these as things that help me let go, and keep my crazy making voices quieted down (yes I have them too).
So why just 5 Sanity Savers? I believe in being a minimalist. In fact that’s one of my Sanity Savers…live minimally. Now my family would argue, “No he doesn’t,” given the amount of trips I make to the grocery store and Trader Joe’s any given week, but hey, we all have are little pleasures in life. But enough about my grocery store obsessions, let’s get to my Sanity Savers and see if hey just might be of interest to you too.
1. Minimal is maximum. I try to keep purchases to a minimum. Only buy things that I desire and that bring me happiness. I used to be a consumerist big time. Now I prefer to only buy what I need.
2. Darren’s Daily – I had the opportunity to meet Darren Hardy, Founder and Publisher of Success magazine and was introduced to his Darren’s Daily emails and texts. Great info for staying the course of successful living. Check it out!
3. Meditate daily. I use Insight Timer morning and evening, for 20 minutes a day to quiet my mind and ease my stress levels. I love this because it has a timer and tons of guided meditations – musical and spoken word – to support you in your practice.
4. Walk, walk, walk. I could ride my bike (love to do, but my knees aren’t as strong as they used to be), I go to the gym (hate it but do it), but I prefer to walk. Each and every day I walk a minimum of 3 miles. Not sure how many steps that it, but I’m not concerned. All I know is the walking gives me time to listen to podcasts, get exercise, breathe fresh air, and see the world in a whole new light. To track my progress I use Map My Walk.
5. Podcasts. And speaking of podcasts, as a podcaster (The Coming Out Lounge) I love listening to other podcasts. Since I walk pretty much 7 days a week that means I listen to 7 different podcasts a week. My favorites that help me stay balanced? Good Life Project, Savage Lovecast, This American Life, The Moth, Happier With Gretchen Rubin, and The Tim Ferris Show. Now I must confess, this list changes regularly, because I get bored and in order to stay sane, I must not be bored.
So why did I just share this list with you? Because I believe that Sanity Savers, truly save lives…isn’t your life worth saving from overwhelm, stress, and crazy making thoughts? I thought so, so consider this my gift to you…even though it’s my birthday (shameless self promotion birthday plug!)
How about you tell me your sanity savers over at my Facebook Page?