Hide and Seek was one of my favorite games as a kid. Mostly because it was the one game I was damn good at.
Ironically, I’m still good at it, but in different ways, and I suspect some of you are good at it for similar reasons.
I’m good at…
- Hiding what I’d really like to say for fear of being rejected
- Hiding how I feel out of fear that the truth may be more than someone else can handle
- Hiding feelings about what I truly desire in my life because someone else will think those feelings are silly
- Hiding when i’m frustrated and hurt, and pretending that nothing is bothering me
- Hiding my happiness because I don’t want others to think it’s all about me
When in reality, what I seek is…
- To be heard, understood, and embraced
- To be honest and truthful in a way that shows I really do care about others, even if it may be hard for them to handle
- To be able to share my desires and not be ridiculed
- To be vulnerable without fear
- To share my happiness without feeling shame
So I’m wondering, are you still playing hide and seek?
If so, let’s both commit to stop hiding one thing this week and share one thing we seek to have more of in our lives.