Sure. Parenthood is a choice for most of us. Except for those unexpected surprises. But when you finally decide, there’s no time like the present, even if you are about to peak out of the 30-something years, find yourself single, and flirting with the early stages of a same-sex relationship, your decision to be a parent is truly a BOLD CHOICE! An Excellent Choice at that!
Some would call this decision crazy, others muster a FAKE smile of support, but in your heart you realize, “I’m doing this and living life on my terms.” That’s exactly what Emma Brockes, author of the hilarious and sometimes frightening book – An Excellent Choice: Panic and Joy on My Solo Path to Motherhood, has done…chosen to live the parenting life on her terms.
She joins us today, having recently uncloseted her witty and irreverent account of starting the parenting journey, to give us her take on life in the trenches of Motherdom.
* Learn what she was conditioned for, but aspired to be
* She discovered this characteristic about herself because she became a parent
* Quote: Have the courage to do the insane thing
* When you make a decision, know why you made that decision, that is the key
* It’s ok for this to be hard…discover what “this” is in her mind
Emma Brockes is a British journalist who writes for the Guardian and whose articles have appeared in the New Yorker and the New York Times. Her latest book, An Excellent Choice: Panic and Joy on My Solo Path to Motherhood is published by Penguin Press. She lives in New York